Taho!!!

Taaaaa-hoooo! Every morning between 8 and 9 the man comes walking briskly down the road, pole across his shoulders, a galvanized metal bucket with lid at each end. He is selling taho, a drink of warm, freshly made tofu, sago pearls and a home brewed brown sugar syrup.

I offered to buy some for the helper as this is her day to be here. She turned me down. I am never sure when she says no-thanks to something I offer if she really means it or if she is just being polite, but I know she meant it about the taho- later she apologized and said, “I am… um… not fond with taho.”

There’s more about it here- https://cebuanawithlove.wordpress.com/2011/05/06/taho-a-philippine-healthy-snack/

she writes from Cebu island, which is the next island north of ours. She is charged less than I am. I don’t know if it’s because Cebu is cheaper or our guy serves bigger cups or because I am Amerikana. It happens.
We pay 20 pesos a cup, whic h is about .40.

1. Cindy
    Posted April 25, 2017 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

Looks…interesting. I’ve read about Chinese bubble tea, with tapioca pearls. Are sago pearls like that? I’d give it whirl, but from the look of it, I’d expect to feel the way your helper does about it. Btw, I was not in labor the other night, it was just a very sideways baby digging into c-section scar tissue with her toesies. Said toesies are now outside my womb, and doing well, along with the rest of the baby. 😀

• Headmistress
      Posted April 26, 2017 at 10:31 am | Permalink

Well! Congratulations!!
      Sago pearls are like tapioca but more gelatin than chewy, and the Cherub can eat them because they come from a palm tree. I do not like drinks with texture, so I eat this with a spoon. The sugar syrup is an aquired taste, but I have heard some areas specialize in other flavours. The Summer Capital, Baguio, grows strawberries, and their syrup is strawberry based. I heard of a buco pandan (coconut and pandan, which is a grassy leaf which tastes like vanilla with a touch of almond and is amazing flavour)flavour, which is something I expect I would quickly become addicted to.

To be very honest- I love it most because it is a treat the Cherub can eat and it is hard to find those. And to have it come right past my door, this morning, as it happens, because, as it happens, the food I had planned for her breakfast was ruined by improper storage by a Helpful Man, and I was at a loss because I have needed to go grocery shopping but have been too sick to care. Well. It was providential timing that I caught him on this particular morning.

The sago pearls are high in calories, the tofu high in protein. I still need to get to the store.

• Cindy
        Posted April 27, 2017 at 8:56 am | Permalink

I’m sorry you’re sick! Praying you get better soon.

• Headmistress
          Posted April 27, 2017 at 9:54 am | Permalink

You can buy antibiotics here, over the counter, without a prescription. So we did, because this had gone on so long and was getting worse and weirder. I feel better. My throat is not 100%, but I don’t flinch when swallowing. My ears aren’t swollen and painful ( could not fit one of my earbuds in one ear).
          Hope you’re feeling good and able to love on that little one.

2. Frances
    Posted April 26, 2017 at 6:08 pm | Permalink

Sorry to hear you’re sick – wishing you all the best for quick recovery.

Great that the cherub’s breakfast is so convenient!

3. Lisa Beth W.
    Posted April 26, 2017 at 10:43 pm | Permalink

So glad the Cherub was provided with breakfast in this way! 🙂 God “thinks of everything”.