March 10, 1957

From my grandmother’s journal:

Cold & windy- Listened to Doc Holland’s sermon.  Mrs. Purcell invited me to her place for a (?? dark times?  that’s not it, and but I don’t know what it actually says).  It was so good.

In the evening went to Fish’s for a short time. Then watched Purcell’s television.

What was so good?  Drunk limes?  Dark Crimes?  My great-grandmother was God and garden loving, solid member of the community, so we must set aside dark crime and drunk limes.  What’s your guess?

1. Eva
    Posted March 14, 2017 at 12:16 am | Permalink

duck brine?

• Posted March 14, 2017 at 7:47 am | Permalink

that was my guess too! Duck brine. Is that a thing?

2. Lindsey in AL
    Posted March 14, 2017 at 2:27 pm | Permalink

Perhaps a “turk lime?” some sort of trendy beverage or dessert? Several of my children are as eager as I am to figure this out.

3. Donna King
    Posted March 14, 2017 at 9:59 pm | Permalink

Could the first word be church?

• Headmistress
      Posted March 15, 2017 at 12:47 am | Permalink

Oooh, possibly, but it does say for ‘a’ whatever it was. For a church time?

• MotherOwl
      Posted March 15, 2017 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

There’s too few strokes for “church”, I tend to duck for the first word. The second could read crimes. But that’s meaningless. It would help with a bit more of her handwriting to compare with. It seems she always put the dot right over her i’s from this little excerpt, but is that true?

4. Nana Ruth
    Posted March 15, 2017 at 10:57 am | Permalink

I see others have guessed duck brine. That was my guess also. I put it in Google and apparently brining duck is quite popular, so maybe instead of saying brined duck she said duck brine, intending to say duck in brine?

5. Anne-Marie
    Posted March 22, 2017 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

duck dinner?
    The first letter of the second word looks similar to the d in “invited” above it, and the little bump in teh line at the end of the word could be an r.