Election Hangovers

These photographs of various reactions to the election were pretty fun to look at.

Remember when ‘elections have consequences?’ Peter Beinart does not.  The dripping condescension is slimy.  The comments are the best part.  Ezra Klein doesn’t get it, either. Of course.  Eric Zorn at the Chicago trip calls it an electoral tantrum (we have heard this before). Garrison Keillor sniffs at the ego of the uneducated (dude. This is why.) and charmingly conflates learning disabilities with being an idiot.  He’s brilliantly talented.  He manages to do that in a single sentence. I think that raw ego he’s talking about might not be where he thinks it is.

Californians threatens to secede.  That’s okay.  They also approved the recreational use of marijuana.

Remember when it was the most terrible thing in the world not to accept the election results?

As I drove away from my polling place yesterday, I was kind of sad because I didn’t like either main party candidate, and I was depressed over what a win for either of them might mean for our country.  There was a magnificent sunset to see, and I was driving west so I got to see it for a while.  I thought to myself that it was silly to be so upset, and I was thankful that I lived in a country where elections happened without bloodshed, where both sides peacefully accepted the results, where we had major elections with extremely oppositional factions, and no riots.

So, I was wrong.  We had riots. In California they set things on fire, broke windows, and marched in peaceful protests screaming ‘not my president.’

Yale students are getting exams canceled because they are so emotionally distraught over the results.

Rachel Maddow likens the election to being in hell.

Illegal immigration groups call on Obama to stop all deportations, calling those who merely enforce the law racists.  Why is protecting national borders and having an immigration policy at all ‘racist?’  This is one of the reasons why the word has a rapidly decreasing impact.  When everything is racist, nothing is.

Thousands of high school kids and their teachers walk out of school in Seattle to protest, saying he’s not their president. I’m thinking that if they have a civics class in this school, it’s taught by a marxist.

Hillary Clinton refused to concede last night even when it was obvious she had lost. She didn’t even have the grace (or perhaps the physical stamina) to come down and speak to her supporters herself. She sent Podesta, and he told the crowd to go home, and go to bed because it was too close to call. Significantly, minutes later she actually made a private phone call to Trump and conceded the race.  She made her public concession speech today only after she’d confirmed that she won the popular vote by a hair. Personally, I think that’s what she was waiting for. She knew she’d lost. But she wanted to be able to claim the popular vote. Some of her aides are blaming the staff members who let her set up a private email server. Maybe you should blame the poor judgement of a candidate who not only wanted one, but dumped emails, ignored subpoenas, sent classified emails to her maid to print them out and lied to the public and Congress about it all.  Just a thought.

Speaking of poor judgment- that sexual assault of a minor lawsuit that followed Trump around and was finally dropped right before the election?  The abuse allegedly occurred on Epstein’s rape island.  The Epstein now in jail as a pedophile.  The victim says she had no idea who the perpetrator was until years later when she saw Trump on The Apprentice, and that she ‘came to believe’ it was him.  Apparently that belief only became firm enough to act on when he ran for President. She says she just couldn’t have a rapist in the White House.

Trump was, according to law enforcement, ‘inserted’ into her charges, and that’s why they were dropped.  They had no credibility.  This is heartbreaking, because chances are strong that she actually was assaulted by Epstein and others on his island of evil when she was a child.  But there’s no evidence Trump was there. You know who did visit that island?

Flight logs show Bill Clinton took at least 26 trips on the plane that featured a bed where guests had group sex with young and underage girls.

Epstein went to prison for 13 months and was placed under home detention for solicitation and procurement of minors for prostitution. He allegedly had girls as young as 12 years old on his 72-acre island in the U.S. Virgin Islands. The island, Little St. James, was called “Orgy Island,” and the girls there serviced Epstein’s friends.

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/11/report-woman-who-accused-trump-of-rape-made-it-all-up/#w2yhPxCTC76KVfKx.99

1. Cindy
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 1:31 pm | Permalink

I know Hillary supporters don’t have much in the way of self-respect, but I wonder if it occurred to any of them that they really dodged a bullet, having failed to elect a leader who wasn’t enough of a leader to even address her followers (to whom she is greatly indebted) herself, at a time that called for some gracious healing words. She sent someone else. “Go home”. Not even a personal thank you? They should be angry. What a kick to the head. They’ve been used, and then left leaderless at the height of their disappointment. She owed them a lot more than a thank you. Apparently they’ll accept far less.

2. Cindy
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 2:00 pm | Permalink

Also, the pictures speak volumes. LOL. I do not normally laugh at people crying, but I cannot imagine behaving that way, in public, over an election. Last time my guy lost (which was, um, every time I’ve ever voted), I went to bed and said “OK, what’s up next?” I’m sure these people will get on with their lives, just like I did, except maybe that one who was on the floor in the fetal position. That is just not what happens among any of the people I’ve ever known, even in the face of disappointment. Who are these people??

Did this happen with Romney? McCain? Bush? No, I don’t think so. But, again, those disappointed voters had a leader come out in a timely manner to tell them what was going on, and not leave them hanging, looking at an electoral map that never quite says “Your guy lost, but it’ll be ok.” You need a leader to do that.

Ho. Lee. Cow. Am I ever glad that selfish, scheming woman is not the future “leader” of this country.

3. Vi
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

For all the people who claim that only middle-aged white men supported Trump, I see a lot of women, young people, and minorities in those pictures of Trump supporters celebrating…

4. JM
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Ditto and ditto! ^^

And may I say, I hope we are done hearing from the Clintons.

5. Cat
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

If you have a chance to listen to this podcast, it is fascinating: https://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/601/master-of-her-domain-name

Are you familiar with “This American Life?”
    “A story about Hillary Clinton that offers a different picture than what we’ve been hearing from both sides during this campaign. And some funny stuff, because everyone’s tired of the election.” It is a fascinating look at the email scandal.

• Headmistress
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

I have no doubt Hillary is often a funny and delightful person in private. Most people are multi-dimensioned. But I watched her on national television deny her huband’s affairs and blame a vast rightwing conspiracy all while saying that if this were true, of course we should be concerned- and she KNEW she was lying when she said it. I have heard her sneer about not being some little tammy wynette stand by her man person who would put up with infidelity- and she *knew* and stayed there anyway, working hard to marginalize and smear her husband’s victims. You can’t change that reality. No video about the nice parts of her life and person (and they are there) can ever cancel the nastiness- or the bad judgement. Have you read the wikileaks emails? Her judgement is awful- her own supporters cannot bring themselves, in private and amongst themselves, to defend her email scandal. It’s telling that the insiders, those closest to her, are as outraged by it as I am, while her run of the mill supporters believe the tidy soundbites her team has been massaging for the masses behind the scenes.

• Cat
        Posted November 10, 2016 at 3:07 pm | Permalink

I need to clarify this is not a humorous piece or a feel good piece about Hillary. (The humor is an add on stand up routine they added after the podcast from a comedian that has nothing to do with politics.) The main podcast is about the email scandal and it is a fascinating report on bungling and the sad state of technology in the government. Jaw dropping.

• Headmistress
          Posted November 10, 2016 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

Did you read the wikileaks?

• Cat
            Posted November 11, 2016 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

• Headmistress
            Posted November 11, 2016 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Liberal muslim woman who voted for Trump explains why. Here’s one of her reasons- I think it was the final straw after the reality of not being able to afford Obama’s affordable health care and some other things:

“By mid-October, it was one Aug. 17, 2014, email from the WikiLeaks treasure trove of Clinton emails that poisoned the well for me. In it, Clinton told aide John Podesta: “We need to use our diplomatic and more traditional intelligence assets to bring pressure on the governments of Qatar and Saudi Arabia, which are providing clandestine financial and logistic support to ISIL,” the politically correct name for the Islamic State, “and other radical Sunni groups in the region.”

The revelations of multimillion-dollar donations to the Clinton Foundation from Qatar and Saudi Arabia killed my support for Clinton. Yes, I want equal pay. No, I reject Trump’s “locker room” banter, the idea of a “wall” between the United States and Mexico and a plan to “ban” Muslims. But I trust the United States and don’t buy the political hyperbole — agenda-driven identity politics of its own — that demonized Trump and his supporters.”

6. Cat
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

High school students staged walkouts all over Des Moines. This is an email from my daughter’s principal.

“Students at high schools throughout Des Moines took part in a protest this morning to voice their concerns about the outcome of last night’s presidential election.

Our students have the right to be heard. Des Moines, after all, was the beginning of the U.S. Supreme Court’s Tinker decision, which ruled their rights to speech are constitutionally protected at school.

The majority of students at Des Moines Public Schools are students of color. They represent more than 100 different nations. More than one out of five students are English Language Learners. The rhetoric of this past election has caused many concerns and divisions among them, their friends and their families. The school district will not stand in the way of our
    students peacefully expressing their concerns. The district is also not making changes to the school day at high schools, and classes and the schedule will continue as normal.

At the same time, this year’s election has been a lesson and reminder that our democracy is not always easy and the results do not always turn out as you might hope. That has been true throughout our history. But regardless of whatever their political positions might be, we hope our students will continue to be engaged and speak out on issues that matter to them, and that all of us will do more to listen to each other. Thank you.

Kevin Biggs, Principal
    TRHS”

• Headmistress
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Has this principal been so eager to make his school a place where those who dissent with Obama’s policies a safe place to dissent? Have Trump supporters been free to speak their minds? I really am curious to know if your principal would have been equally solicitous of the students’ right to be heard had they staged a walk-out over Obama’s election. I personally don’t believe it would have happened.

Those who do not favor the things Obama has done have endured the last 8 years of being called racists, bigots, white supremacists and other vile things, merely for disagreeing with his policies. But we didn’t riot. We didn’t state walkouts. We didn’t start fires and break windows. Not. Impressed.

• Cat
        Posted November 10, 2016 at 3:33 pm | Permalink

Well, I can’t know that. I don’t know if students have requested an opportunity to dissent or oppose Obama. I do know that a Trump supporting teacher told his students he did not want them to participate in the walk out and told them it was stupid. My daughter was in his class and was scared for her grade so she stayed put. The teacher’s own son, a student at the school, took the American flag out of its holder and ran down the hall yelling Trump! Trump! and waving it at people during the walk out. I do know some Trump supporting students have been given permission to leave school to attend rallies for Trump.

• Headmistress
          Posted November 10, 2016 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Being given permission to attend a rally for any candidate is reasonable. It is silly to walk out of class in protest of an election that just happened in a peaceful democracy. Nothing about the process was unfair, people just don’t like who won. Remember way back when it was the mark of a democracy to accept the election results with grace and be proud of the peaceful transition of power? You know, last week when Hillary and the media thought their candidate was a shoe-in.

7. Cat
    Posted November 9, 2016 at 6:22 pm | Permalink

I work at an elementary school. A student refugee from Africa had a full blown panic attack in school today. She was terrified people would be coming for her family to send them all back to the camp she came from. It’s bad.

• Headmistress
      Posted November 9, 2016 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

A panic attack based on a lie is, you know, based on a lie. The fix for that is to correct the lies (or not tell them in the first place). And I would put direct blame for that on the media and Hillary’s campaign which promoted irrational fear. If she is here legitimately, she has no need to fear deportation. I think those who have lied about this and conflated and confounded illegal aliens with legal immigrants and legal refugees should be held responsible. And if she is not here legally, then she has bigger concerns than a panic attack.

• Cat
        Posted November 10, 2016 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

My church held a meeting last night with speakers from different religious organizations and nonprofits to respond to the election. One speaker, a refugee from Africa (could not understand the name of the country), said in the past few months she has had people yell at her from cars as she walks to the grocery store. She has people say derogatory things to her in stores, where she had not had this happen previously except after 9/11 (which happened two months after she moved here from the refugee camp). She said she thought after the election it would finally end when Donald Trump loses and now…she burst into heaving sobs. She has five children, the sons have been told to go back to Africa by other kids at school. This is not imaginary.

• Headmistress
          Posted November 10, 2016 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

I’ll be honest, I have my doubts about most of those incidents, because I have seen too many incidents (sorry, I meant reports) of this stuff being exaggerated and made up, tears notwithstanding. Kids are mean and stupid in arguments and telling an African kid to go back to Africa is not necessarily any more racist than telling a Texan to go back to Texas in a schoolyard argument between kids in New York and a kid from Texas. But what you are offering as evidence that fear and rage and calling everybody who voted for Trump a racist is a few words.

And I have been called a rape apologist, a racist, a sexist, a misogynist, and I am terrified for my husband to go into Chicago with his republican bumpersticker to pick up our daughter at the airport.
          But I am not blaming all the anti-Trumpers for it.

The racist thing is old, tired, and false.
          More blacks and Hispanics voted for him than voted for Mitt Romney. In some places, 1/3 of the Hispanic community supported Trump.
          I’ve seen posts from blacks incensed at the thought that they would vote for Clinton at all. One poll in PA found that up to 19% of blacks were considering voting for Trump.
          Harper had a poll that showed him at over 18% of the black vote in Pennsylvania.
          The BBC says that 8% of blacks voted for Trump nationwide, and that 29% of both Hispanics *and* Asian populations voted for him.
          mid-September: “Trump saw a 16.5 percentage-point increase in backing from African-American voters in a Los Angeles Times/University of Southern California tracking poll, up from 3.1 percent on Sept. 10 to 19.6 percent through Friday.” (Inquisitr)
          up to 7% of black males and 5% of Hispanic males refused to answer exit-poll questions about who they were voting for.
          The same people who voted Obama into office voted for Trump. Being opposed to illegal and unchecked immigration is *not* racist.
          The people actually having their lives threatened right now are Trump and Pence (huge assassination call threads on Twitter), and rioting in Oakland and elsewhere, breaking things, destroying property, dragging a man out of his car and beating him up because he voted for Trump- the violence so far is all directed toward Trump and Trump supporters. And you give me a few rude words. That is not as bad as the real riots and death threats from the left right now.

• Cat
            Posted November 11, 2016 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

Maybe it’s the day I’ve had at school, but I am emotionally spent and I’m offended by your response. (Not that my feelings should matter to you–and I’m not being flip).

A block from the school where I work, a confederate flag now flies in front of someone’s house. In the morning, when I help students get out of their vehicles in the front pull-up area, a man now drops off his kindergarten daughter in a truck emblazened with the outline of the United States and the words “We’re full! F#ck off!” (except the word is spelled out). Our president elect was endorsed by David Duke and also the KKK.

I refuse to pooh-pooh the fears of the immigrant families at my school–Muslims who came from refugee camps, and Mexican immigrants. I don’t doubt some people make stories up. I don’t condone rioting. But don’t discredit the whole because of a few.

I don’t think everybody who voted for Trump is racist. A lovely colleague of mine says she voted for Trump because she is pro-life, her single issue. My brother-in-law (and probably my beloved sister) voted for Trump. I don’t think my colleague is racist. My brother-in-law and my sister are, now that I think of it. I do think a whole lot more of us are racist than we realize.

• Headmistress
            Posted November 11, 2016 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

The confederate flag does not mean the same thing to those who love it that it does to you or me.
            Being anti-immigration is not the same as racist.
            People are not responsible for who endorses them. Trump repudiated the Klan endorsement, and I believe Duke’s as well (and Duke has mostly been a registered Democrat. I thought he still was). Hillary called a Grand Duke of the Klan her mentor and he held high office in the Democrat party for decades. Nobody on the left ever cared.
            Of course there are racists and misogynists in both parties and in the independents, too, and some of them are white and some of them are black and brown and every other shade. Humans are like that sometimes. But the left likes to pretend it’s a Republican thing, and it isn’t, and the left likes to call wolf with the racism accusation so much and so often and for so many things that it has become almost completely meaningless, while completely ignoring the absolutely gobsmackingly stupid and demeaning assumptions they make about people of colour (voter ID suppresses the vote because black people probably don’t have ID and don’t know how to get it- great fishes of the ocean, I cannot believe they make that argument without understanding how ugly it is).

If you had read the wikileaks then you would know that it was part of the Clinton campaign ‘pied piper’ strategy to get their pet reporters to promote Trump’s campaign and do their worst to marginalize the Republican candidates she was most afraid of campaigning against. It’s not too late, you can still inform yourself. She *wanted* Trump to be the front runner and did all in her power to make that happen, as did the media in her pocket. Once he won, fear mongering and lying about who he was and what he stood for was *also* part of their planned strategy. It Obviously backfired. It was stupid, and I’m furious about it, because Trump was never in even the top ten list of people I’d have liked to see for President. Shoot, he wasn’t ON my list at all, but Hillary put him there on purpose. Of course people are afraid now, Hillary and the media worked as hard as they could to make them that way by lying, exaggerating, and fearmongering, which is why no, I don’t have much sympathy for people who believed a lying liar and her campaign. Put the blame where it belongs and read more than one side.

It’s not to late. You can still read the wikileaks podesta emails which discuss this strategy. http://www.inquisitr.com/3696795/you-all-know-that-the-clinton-campaign-deliberately-plotted-to-get-trump-nominated-right/

Hoaxes? It’s also not a ‘few’ hoaxes, it’s the majority. Others are exaggerated, All of them so far which have had a chance of being true are just words. None of them have any context. I’m just supposed to blindly believe complete strangers who obviously have an agenda anyway? Meanwhile, YOUR side is calling for assassination, beating people, breaking into businesses, setting the streets on fire, shutting down highways, without apology, without a single Democrat leader (Hillary owns this, why isn’t she speaking? Obama? Where is he?) coming forward and calling on the rioting to stop. THAT should be offensive.

One last observation- The Trumps were Democrats for years and years. And they were best friends with the Clintons for decades. If he is such a horrible misogynistic, racist piece of crap, why was Hillary so pleased to be friends with him all that time?

8. Katie M
    Posted November 10, 2016 at 8:33 am | Permalink

I’ve been trying to figure out an eloquent way to explain why this election feels so different to us over here in the liberal bubble–without much success–so instead here are some clumsy thoughts.

First, the fear is genuine. I have felt disappointment after elections, and frustration. This is different. It stems from two things. One, we’re on the edge of the unknown, and that’s scary. Even if I fundamentally disagree with my political leaders’ path, it still feels better to know roughly where that path is heading. This isn’t a political affiliation thing, it’s a human thing.

Two, it’s deeply unsettling to realize how much of the country is willing to tolerate sexism and racism. I knew we were far from perfect, but I didn’t think we were quite that far. Probably that was naive–I do admit to being insulated.

What I also see is a country having two really different conversations. It’s not two ships passing in the night, it’s like a ship and a bicycle. One thing I’m trying to figure out, in the aftermath of Tuesday, is how to be better at having one conversation.

• Headmistress
      Posted November 10, 2016 at 10:04 am | Permalink

I know the fear is genuine, but most of it is based on a lot of lies, false assumptions, misjudgments of others that amount to calumny. The fear, so completely lacking in anything like reality, indicates just how willing people are to think the worst of those who disagree with them for no better reason than political differences. It is actually insulting and part of the problem. It’s not based on reality. Who is it who is actually rioting, destroying public property, and threatening to kill people right now? It’s not Trump supporters. It’s not the right. It’s not even the alt-right. It’s the left, it’s Hillary’s people, and where is she? She should be out in front calling for respect of the process, for peaceful transition, and explaining that this is not how it works.

Tolerating racism and sexism- this vote was about neither. Hillary was a deeply flawed and corrupt candidate, and people listened to the actual recording of Trump and looked over what Hillary has actually done (covered up for a rapist and blamed and shamed his victims as well as the shaming and blaming of a 12 year old rape victim in her early days as a lawyer, and laughing about it years later)- and know the difference between smutty, disgusting talk and smutty, disgusting, illegal actions.

9. Katie M.
    Posted November 10, 2016 at 11:54 am | Permalink

I felt like a heard a pretty decent number of reasonable-sounding, thoughtful Trump supporters. However, I also heard a lot of them saying “I don’t agree with or like when he said [insert your favorite low moment of the campaign here], BUT…” To me that sounds like tolerating.

I hear what you’re saying about all the important parts that are being lost because the liberal establishment is focusing on what’s being tolerated and tuning out everything that comes after the “but” in that sentence.

For the record, I am not rioting. I haven’t even posted any memes to facebook.

• Headmistress
      Posted November 10, 2016 at 12:56 pm | Permalink

Your standard for accusing people who voted for a candidate you don’t like of tolerating racism and sexism is troubling. It’s a bad faith accusation, and a double standard as well.
      Hillary and Bill Clinton have done far worse things to women. Besides blaming and shaming Bill’s rape victims, ignoring his 26 rides in the Lolita Express, Hillary just didn’t pay women as much as she paid men in her campaign. So is a vote for her also tolerating sexism? For rape apologists? Objectively using the standards you’ve stated, it would be.
      People did not have many choices this election, and somebody was going to be president no matter who they voted for. Voting while holding your nose is not ‘tolerating’ the things about a candidate they don’t like. It’s weighing the things they don’t like in the balance.

I have seen and heard some really horrible assumptions about the ignorance and stupidity of blacks from *leftists.* That bigotry gets passed off as compassion, somehow. Do you own that, too? Why not?

I’m so glad you aren’t rioting. But lots and lots of people who voted for your candidate are. In Chicago they pulled a man out of his car, beat him, and stole his car for voting for Trump. Why are Trump voters all racists and sexists (or at least tolerating same), but you are completely free from being tarnished by anything you don’t like that Hillary voters are doing? I see a serious double standard.

If it were reversed, and the rioters were Trump voters, would you accept the same easy shrug and “I’m not rioting?”

10. Katie
    Posted November 11, 2016 at 12:24 am | Permalink

Well my phone decided to delete my more thoughtfully worded response, so here’s the quick and dirty one:
    1. Yes, there was a whole heap of tolerating that went along with a Clinton vote.
    2. I would not characterize the Trump supporters I personally know as those of the hold your nose and vote variety.
    3. Yup, the left does not lack for racism or sexism.
    4. If my short on words regarding rioting, it’s because it’s such an obvious wrong on all sides, is there really much to say on the topic?

• Headmistress
      Posted November 11, 2016 at 1:29 am | Permalink

I feel your pain. My computer has been dropping posts in the middle of me working on them for days. I try to save as I go, but sometimes it drops the post just as I am saving. SO aggravating.