We are doomed. Doomed

The Common Room Talks Politics colonial sillouhette badgeThis is a Congresswoman.  She writes laws for the rest of us.  How old is the Constitution?  She has no clue.  Worse, she does not know she has no clue.

She also just breezes right over the fact that she gets our entire system of government wrong- we are not a democracy. We are legally and historically a Constitutional Republic .   But almost nobody understands that distinction any more- and that is by design.

This is the same congresswoman who apparently has confused Vietnam with North and South Korea, and thinks that Neil Armstrong landed on Mars and planted a flag there.

Worse, people vote for ignorant lawmakers like this to go to D.C. and tell the rest of us what’s best for us.

Here is a report card on US Civics by the Intercollegiate Studies Institute.

“If a nation expects to be ignorant and free… it expects what never was and never will be.”
—Thomas Jefferson

Doomed and ignorant, according to these test results.  If nobody even knows what form of government we have or the most basics of how it operates, then no wonder few people care about protecting it:

• Fewer than half of all Americans can name all three branches of government, a minimal requirement for understanding America’s constitutional system.

Elected officials fared even worse on the test.

Try the test for yourself.

This entry was posted in government. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. HeatherHH
    Posted March 13, 2014 at 9:29 am | Permalink

I consider myself to have a so-so knowledge of civics. I got 7 out of 10 at the link you shared.

Then I took the full Civic Literacy Test http://www.americancivicliteracy.org/ (link on sidebar), which has 33 questions, and I got 30 correct. That quiz though has more general American history questions, which I’m better at than the questions targeted at Constitution-related issues .

Unfortunately, pretty much everyone believes we live in a democracy. Even many conservative Christian or homeschooling sources will use the term democracy. :-(

2. Katie
    Posted March 13, 2014 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

Although I had to think hard to recall some answers, I got 10 of 10 on the test. (This would please both the professor who taught American Government in college, fall 2001, and the wonderful teacher who taught AP US History 2 in the 1998-1999 school year!)

3. Rachel
    Posted March 13, 2014 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

What really tells you something is that this Congresswoman graduated from Yale.

4. Posted March 13, 2014 at 2:22 pm | Permalink

Wow, I surprised myself by getting 100% correct! A couple I had to guess by the process of elimination; I’m pleased with my powers of reasoning. I love this country and believe that the Constitution was inspired by God. I hope, pray and work for the renewal of our nation.

5. Cat
    Posted March 13, 2014 at 5:30 pm | Permalink

Well, I’m going to go out on a limb here and be generous on the first point mentioned. I was in Jamestown, VA, this summer, and distinctly recall standing in the remains of a church in which, I was informed, the very first legislative assembly in Colonial America was held (early 1600s). According to the National Park Service, the assembly “would later blossom into a fully developed constitutional system.” This church, I was told, was the true birthplace of our American government and constitution. (By the way, among other matters, the first legislative assembly voted to abolish martial law, to institute compulsory church attendance, and to impose a tax on every man and servant to pay officers of the assembly ‘one pound of the best Tobacco” for their service.) Heh.

6. Thalia
    Posted March 13, 2014 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

I got 100% on the short test and 93.94% on the long test, but I studied American political history in college. I think some of these legislators need to take a couple classes with my professors.

7. Posted March 15, 2014 at 3:54 am | Permalink

I’m from Northern Ireland (born and bred) and scored 7 out of 10! But of course I do read your blog :)

The level of ignorance from politicians worldwide is scary, my friend (a civil servant) is constantly amazed by the ignorance in our government officials at a regional level when she’s passing on statistics for use in assembly debates.

Hope you enjoy the wedding today, may God bless the new couple and be with all those recovering from injuries and illnesses in your brood.

Grainne