Update on The Cherub

Yesterday she had the bronchoscopy and they said she has very small air passages (which probably explains why she gets colds worse than the rest of us).  This morning The Cherub went to get a chest tube inserted for draining this morning at 8 a.m.

She was back a couple hours later, drowsy and annoyed. The tube is bigger than I expected. They gave  her some meds that should help thin out the gunk and break up secretions and all that other stuff that I just nod about and try not to think very hard over the meaning of the words they keep on wording at me.

She likes listening to us read the board book of On Mother’s Lap that I got her at a thrift store this week the one time I left the hospital. The Peter Rabbit books she has not the slightest interest in.

This afternoon the pulmonary specialist came to look at her and says the chest tube is draining quite a bit and he wants to leave it in for 2 or 3 days and then do a CAT scan to see how well it all drained. If it drained well, then good and we can talk about going home then. Otherwise, surgery. She’s been pretty ornery this afternoon, which I am taking as a sign that she is feeling better.

There is no way she is going to her sister’s wedding on Saturday.  Today I am resigned to this, or rather, right now I am resigned. No telling how I will handle it tomorrow or on Saturday, or, truthfully, ten minutes from now.

1. Elizabeth S
    Posted March 13, 2014 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the update. I am so very sorry. I will keep praying for all of you.

2. MotherLydia
    Posted March 13, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Do you have a friend that can stay with the Cherub so YOU can get to the wedding?

3. 6 arrows
    Posted March 13, 2014 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

My mother heart hurts for you.

Continuing in prayer.

4. shari
    Posted March 13, 2014 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

OK. So, Everybody reading this, please start a prayer chain for the Cherub and DHM,

I’ve heard an imagery of a prayer being like a beacon of light going up into the heavens. Let’s make the heavens glow!

(Love you, DHM, have been reading for years. hugs hugs hugs. )

5. Lisa Beth W.
    Posted March 13, 2014 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Ach, so sorry to hear that. Does this mean that YOU cannot be there on Sat.? Do she need you to stay with her?

6. Posted March 14, 2014 at 4:42 am | Permalink

I don’t comment often, but I am a long time reader, and I just want you to know that I am keeping the Cherub in my prayers.