Scarring

The FYG has some hypertrophic scarring issues that cause us some concern.

Obviously, her recent broken leg and ankle along with the surgery involved (putting a rod in the tibia) have us searching out ways to do what we can to minimize the scarring, and not just for cosmetic reasons. The scar tissue can build up internally as well, and then it restricts movement. We already have some experience with this, as she cannot straighten out one of her toes at all after surgery to repair some tendons she sliced while jumping the bathtub- she knocked a big sister’s razor off the shelf and accidentally jumped on the blades, severing four tendons to two toes. She was about 6. The surgery went beautifully and she had full movement of both toes, but over time, in spite of daily oiling and massage, scar tissue built up again and now she has no movement to speak of in that one toe. It would be this child, not her more sedate older sisters, who has issues with scarring.

Here are some interesting links a friend pointed me to:

silicone gel may be an effective treatment.

And this one is specifically about acne scars, but scars is scars. What I found most interesting was what it has to say about vitamin e at the bottom, mainly because any time I tell anybody that she has hypertrophic scarring issues, their first response is to blithely tell me how well they healed from their own surgeries and all I have to do is put vitamin E on it. I know they mean well, and I am just not that nice of a person and this is on me and not them, but it makes the Mama Bear in me snarly.

I told her surgeon about our concerns, and I could tell he didn’t really believe me, he thought I was just being a drama-mama. He reassured me in those soothing, patronizing tones doctors reserve for such situations that he would put a steroid cream on the incisions that would reduce scarring, which I appreciate. But yesterday at her appointment I got to momentarily emit that uncharitable whiff of personal satisfaction when he looked at her knee, looked again, looked a little startled, and then told me I should put more moisturizer on it. Well, I do. So does she. Now the surgeon believes what I was telling him.

Sigh. That sense of satisfaction at finally being taken seriously is truly only momentarily, because I do care more about my daughter’s healing than about being right.

Meanwhile:

Castor oil and massage may also help.

A doula with experience with c-section scar tissue recommends castor oil packs. More about them here (or just google- this wasn’t necessarily the best site I found, just one of the first).

1. Fatcat
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 10:11 am | Permalink

That patronizing tone is the worst!

2. Amity
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

We’re using helicrysum essential oil in rosehip seed oil on a scar from a dog bite on my two-year-old’s cheek. I don’t know if it’s strong enough to deal with hypertrophic scarring. Several people reported it healing old keloid scars, so maybe. We’ve only been using it for about a week, and I haven’t really noticed any improvement, but they say it can take a month or a few months to see a major difference. Might be worth a try for the FYG, anyway. Here’s where we got it, with a link to reviews:

(They don’t mention that it should be refrigerated to keep the rosehip seed oil from going rancid.)

• Amity
      Posted February 20, 2014 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Oh, and it’s NOT an MLM store. :)

3. Jennifer
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

I am a herbalist and Chiropractor. I would use Guta Kola both internally and topically to reduce scarring and speed healing. It works very well. I use herbs from Medi-Herb out of Australia. THey are made to pharmaceutical standards and REALLY work. Feel free to contact me for more info.

4. Kai Jones
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

I had two skull surgeries last summer, and the physical therapist worked on my scars twice a week with massage and gave me daily exercises to loosen up the underlying tissues. I’m still working on them, but they’ve gone from stiff ridges that I couldn’t move at all (attached to the skull) to barely noticeable intermittent bumps that move freely with my skin.

Because the muscle that moves the jaw was also cut on each side, I did other exercises to build strength and stretch those muscles, too.

5. Cindy Watson
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Don’t have an answer about scarring but have a friend who has the same issue. She avoids surgery whenever she can( obviously she couldn’t at times and neither could FYG.) I am just shaking my head in agreement about doctors not listening to patients or mothers. Been down that road. When it is really extreme I pull out my “RN card “so to speak.

6. Lynn
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

my sympathies re the scarring. for sure I do believe you, even if the doctor does not. sigh.

I don’t have any suggestions, but am wondering if one of your readers might have found anything which was helpful in ridding stretch marks from pregnancy? if so, it might help here.

7. Lynn
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 3:50 pm | Permalink

just after posting, I ran across this, and did recall hearing someone mention this previously. sending it on, in case it is of interest.

As well, they talk about topical application, but I am thinking I heard someone mention eating it also helped.

Bromelain and Scar Reduction

June 14th, 2011

Papaya and Pineapple both contain bromelain, an enzyme that assists in the breakdown of proteins. The theory is that these powerful enzymes can remove scars by digesting the injured tissue. There is some evidence that this works. Application needs to be continuous and prolonged (several weeks). In addition, not all enzymes are equivalent. Papain is the most
    beneficial but is not on the market in the US because of allergic reactions.

8. Ruth
    Posted February 20, 2014 at 11:02 pm | Permalink

U don’t have kelps issues but a friend who does uses an over the country that contains onion and swears by it. And now I’ll click your links which probably talk about it…

9. Lynn
    Posted February 21, 2014 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

Hi,
    Just recalled another supplement, I have heard someone discuss/use. Don’t know anything about it, except it is from silkworms. Found a link. Sending it on.
    Seraptase
    Serrapeptase Information
    Serrapeptase digests inflammations, scars (non-living tissue), blood clots, cysts, and arterial plaque and flammation in all forms. The late German physician, …

10. Lynn
    Posted February 22, 2014 at 2:02 am | Permalink

Hello,
    if you/your daughter try any of the above, or others, and find they work, I wonder if you would mind posting the results/what was done? (applied topically/how long/how often/taken in pills, etc).

I know someone who could benefit from something “which worked”. Is thoroughly exhausted hearing of/reading about possibles. However, if I were to say, check out here, someone tried it/worked, it might be of more practical interest.

if you do post more on this, thank you.

11. Lynn
    Posted February 23, 2014 at 9:36 pm | Permalink

seem to keep running across this stuff, so sending it on, in case it is of any interest. thought it might help scars.

had psoriasis for two years but ever since taking P73 wild oregano oil, she says she no longer has the skin condition

Posted February 24, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink