TMI and Ick

Thursday in the middle of the day I discovered a largish (dime sized in diameter, and very raised and full) abscess on my leg near the shin. I have no idea where it came from, what happened, or anything, as by the time I noticed it, it was full grown enough to start applying for its own citizenship papers.

I lanced it, which was ugly. I emailed the HG to ask her opinion, because she just recently dealt with an abscess herself. She suggested that if it got worse, I go to the doctor, something I pretty much never do.

I’ve put peroxide, frankincense, and antibiotic ointment on it. It’s about the same. Today I asked the Equuschick her opinion- she’s our resident medic due to her long interest in all things medical (she read the five inch thick Mayo Clinic family health book from cover to cover when she was about ten), and her animal shelter work and so forth.

She thought it still looked swollen, red, and raw, but this was a diagnosis a child of 2 could make, it was so obvious. She said that I should listen to her sister and go to the doctor.

I demurred. “She said,” I explained, “to go to the doctor if it got worse. It’s not any worse. It’s just not any better.”

“Mom, if after 48 hours and multiple applications of antibiotic ointment and peroxide the best you can say is ‘it’s not worse,’ that’s sort of a textbook definition for GO TO THE DOCTOR.”

Updated to note: On Monday if it is still the same, I will make a doctor appointment. We happen to be out of raw honey, which is sad. We usually have it on hand.  Tonight I applied a paste of turmeric and lavendar oil, and we shall see.

I will add it’s the same as it was *after* I lanced it on Thursday. That is, the huge infection nastiness isn’t back, but it’s still obviously got something going on, and the wound isn’t healing like I would have expected.

1. Anita
    Posted January 11, 2014 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Pop and squish? I hate to sound like a drooling, inappropriate troll, but MAN! I bet that was a little (disgusting) fun. Sorry if it hurt :-( Hope you’re better in the next 48. Maybe an ingrown hair got a little dirt or teensie particle of wood in it and it went crazy. Strange things, accesses.

2. Lori in Wheaton
    Posted January 11, 2014 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

I read a study last year that raw honey applied to open wounds that weren’t healing was shockingly effective, far more so than any of the current medical treatments. Some people swear by melaluca (tea tree) honey, but that wasn’t mentioned in the study. However, it has to be raw and can’t be diluted with corn syrup (as most are nowadays). In case you have any handy…

3. Liz
    Posted January 11, 2014 at 8:45 pm | Permalink

Think of it this way – you go to the doctor, it’s nothing, you kick yourself over paying the office visit. But the cost is not the end of the world, most likely. If it’s not nothing – and I think your daughters are sensible – you’re looking at a LOT more expense to fix this if/when it worsens after putting off professional treatment. Good luck!

4. Posted January 11, 2014 at 9:42 pm | Permalink

Yeah, ESQ is right. Go to the doc! Our cat got bit by a squirrel (best guess) it got massively infected before I found it, but after lancing it and liberal application of antibiotic cream (which after 20 minutes of holding to prevent her licking it off, she licked it off) it was much, much better after 12 hours (over night). Now, the other stuff should have done something, but if not the antibiotic cream, if its not years out of date, would have done something. Means its not bacterial, or its a deeper infection than just surface, or its just an antibiotic resistant bacteria (which the other things, peroxide and such) should of done something to it. All that to say, you’ve got the basic opinion of ‘give a few more days’, and now its time to step it up. Anyhoo, take the advice of a random reader on the internet (yeah, great advice, right?) for whatever its worth.

5. Posted January 11, 2014 at 10:44 pm | Permalink

Do you have any drawing salve? Eggwhite will also work. Epsom salt soak. Just try to draw out whatever is in there.

6. Posted January 11, 2014 at 10:45 pm | Permalink

Oh, and I would only use Dr. Christophers drawing salve. His is gentle yet very effective. Some of the others can be quite painful.

7. Rachel
    Posted January 11, 2014 at 11:50 pm | Permalink

Hope it gets better soon! Sounds a lot like Staph to me (btdt thrice myself and once for my husband). My vote’s for going to the doctor. Better to be safe than risk it.

8. Barbara
    Posted January 12, 2014 at 12:08 am | Permalink

Try coating it in raw unfiltered honey. It is clinically proven that bacteria can’t grow in the presence of honey. Also tea tree oil is a great antibacterial, antimicrobial, antifungal. Just beware that tea tree is dangerous for cats if you have them. My MIL had a stage 2 diabetic ulcer on her tail bone area that developed at a Hosp/rehab and we were able to get it completely healed in 2 months with the honey. The doctors were completely amazed and said they had never seen or heard of a case that bad that was healed so quickly in a diabetic. I hope my late night rambling had made sense and will help you. If you’d like more info feel free to email me.

9. Cindy Watson
    Posted January 12, 2014 at 5:55 am | Permalink

Don’t use peroxide. It is cytotoxic and will kill healthy cells trying to heal. I use peroxide with dirty shallow cuts to make sure I get all the bacteria but don’t use it with wounds and never on real patients because it is cytotoxic. ( RN who has sat through new lectures on wound healing)

10. Cindy Watson
    Posted January 12, 2014 at 5:58 am | Permalink
  11. Fatcat
    Posted January 12, 2014 at 7:58 am | Permalink

You know that this infection could get into your blood a condition also known as sepsis? If you get a fever, go to the emergency department. This is not something to mess around with. Abscesses can have many interior branches and pockets of infection inside that you can’t see. Listen to your wise children.

12. Rebekah
    Posted January 12, 2014 at 8:16 am | Permalink

A lot of these suggestions are great. I personally would avoid the doctor because I figure he would just put me on an antibiotic anyway. My first option would be the honey or other researched topical applications, but I would also highly recommend stepping up internal immune function, probably in the form of a ton of raw garlic. Perhaps echinecea. And definitely more cayenne/ habenero pepper for better circulation. Speaking of which, I’d probably rub some of that cayenne diluted in oil around the wound on the leg to get better circulation to that area.

Just my 2 cents, but it would take a LOT of worry to get me into a conventional doctor.

13. Amy
    Posted January 12, 2014 at 10:46 am | Permalink

Charcoal and/or castor oil bound up in a cloth pouch and applied like a poultice might help. Colloidal silver applied to it and taken internally would probably be a good idea, too. I don’t jump to taking colloidal silver internally as a first step, but since you’ve done a lot of things externally, it sounds like you need to start working on the inside. Colloidal silver will kill some of the helpful flora in your gut, but so will any antibiotics the doctor tells you to take. You’ll just have to eat fermented vegetables and yogurt to build your gut back up.

14. JessT
    Posted January 12, 2014 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

Or tea tree oil! Sorry you’ve run out of honey!

15. Laura
    Posted January 12, 2014 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Epsom salt soak. Take you twenty minutes, and I can’t think of any way in which it would hurt matters.

Regardless of what other decisions are mad re:doc no doc, upon which I have no recommendation either way. Epsom salt soak, no skin off your nose, and it might just help. It has helped us for everything under the sun. Toss a couple of cups into a nice warm bath, or a cup into a tub in which you can immerse the shin.

Praying it improves soon.

16. Veronica
    Posted January 13, 2014 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Coconut oil is antibacterial.

17. Lisa Beth W
    Posted January 13, 2014 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

I agree with the epsom salt soak, NO peroxide and trying tea tree oil. I got rid of impetigo on my daughter with just tea tree oil, and also what I’m quite sure was a staph infection on a badly scraped up arm. I also agree with consuming garlic and echinacea.

18. Tabatha
    Posted January 15, 2014 at 8:36 pm | Permalink

Just checking in to see how your wound was doing. Did the paste work or did you have to go the Dr.? I hope it cleared up for you. :)

Posted January 16, 2014 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

It’s slowly improving, thanks.

19. Donna
    Posted January 25, 2014 at 12:27 am | Permalink

Weird…Chris had something similar this week. I first saw it Tuesday night when it was small and we never did anything about it. Today it is nasty. :( Came back to see what people posted because I couldn’t remember all the recommendations. Glad to see yours is doing better.