Happy…..

happy january

January!!

I’m not doing New Year’s Resolutions this year. I am just looking at January.  I hope in February, I’ll be able to make a short plan for February, etc, etc. etc.

Here’s what I have planned for January:

In January I want my family to do 30 days of whole foods- no ingredients we can’t pronounce or don’t know where they come from. No major processing. If we eat grains, we have to grind them or cook them whole (no store bought bread).
Unfortunately, I only told my son my plan. I told him to inform the rest of the crew and he didn’t and the rest of the crew went shopping on the last day of December without consulting me and bought like three boxes of cereal and five bags of pasta and five bags of bagels and three packages of bread.

That evening (last night for most of you), I told them what I wanted to do and they were all already rebelling and grumbling like Israelites in the wilderness within ten minutes. Make that 2. So we’ll see.

In January, I want to read more, but I also want to get a couple more Kindle books ready for publishing. More is not really a good enough goal, is it? Too vague. Okay, two books, titles to be disclosed in the next day or two.

IN January, I want to try a plan to read through the Bible in a month. There’s a plan here. So there’s one of my books.

IN January I want to work my way up to exercising just 20 minutes a day. I am in such sad shape. Carrying the laundry basket from my room to the laundry room gives me back spasms that have me doubled over in pain. A more doable goal is probably leave my room for more than half an hour a day, it’s just that bad. We’ll see.

And in January, I want to make four new Korean foods. Dokbokki; Kimchi; Cubed radish kimchi (http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/kkakdugi); beansprout banchan.

In January, I want to have 3 family game nights.

In January, I want to declutter and reorganize the laundry room, and go through at least one book-case and get rid of some books.

School for us is a given. There are some improvements that could be made, but it’s the one thing I’ve been keeping on top of to some degree. I plan to continue.

In February, I’ll look at where I am and make a new set of goals for February.

How about you?

1. jucindaw
    Posted January 1, 2014 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

I’m inspired. Like the idea of short term goals. I’m bookmarking this as a reminder for myself.

2. 6 arrows
    Posted January 1, 2014 at 9:21 pm | Permalink

You’re much more ambitious than I. ;-)

I’m coming off a long, dry season, so my goals are simple and without a time frame (in terms of weeks, months, whatever), except for following a reading plan that takes me through the Bible in one year.

-less computer time (with specific parameters regarding purpose and length of time; no mindless surfing for however long it turns out)

-one to one, face to face time with each of my children each day (not including their school time); just simple talk time, doing anything or nothing together

-getting outside with the kids every day (this one is easy to skip this time of year, as we live in a climate where single digits — above or below zero — have been the norm lately)

-spending a little time each morning decluttering my basement, which is a catch-all place for all the things we don’t know where to go with

That’s pretty much it, on top of the usual, ordinary day-to-day things a family does.

Question for you: how do you read through the whole Bible in one month? I clicked on the link, and, wow, I don’t understand the purpose behind trying to go through the Bible that fast. I would have a very hard time absorbing much, attempting to keep up a pace like that. What would one do the next month, and the next…? Is it meant to be a fast overview of the Bible, so you can more quickly get through it before moving on to deeper study?

Posted January 1, 2014 at 10:46 pm | Permalink

A couple of yours look too ambitious for me- so we are all in different places doing what we can.

As for the Bible reading, For me, I just wanted something different. I’ve been going through slowly, reading one book 20 times before moving on, no matter how long it takes. So I felt like something very different, and galloping through at this speed seemed like just the change of pace I needed. After today though, (40 chapters in Genesis), this may be more than I can chew, so maybe I will take it in two months.

• Posted January 1, 2014 at 11:20 pm | Permalink

I’ve done the 90 day Bible read plan twice now. I just finished one of them last month. It’s hard work reading that much each day, but it is also refreshing to see the scope of things that you miss out on in a slower read. Connections also happen because you’ve read the related thing more recently than in a slower read. I’m looking at a 365 read this time around, however. I was curious how long you would need to plan for a one month read. I found some information here — http://askville.amazon.com/long-average-person-read-bible/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=15632099

Posted January 2, 2014 at 12:40 am | Permalink

I’m a pretty quick reader, and I broke today’s reading up into two parts- 20 chapters this morning and 20 chapters by bedtime. Still. I don’t think I can sustain it for a month straight.

3. teachergirl
    Posted January 2, 2014 at 7:15 pm | Permalink

I like the idea of setting January goals rather than goals for the whole year. They seem less overwhelming.

I’ve been watching entirely to much k-drama, and spending too much time on the internet. So I’ve decided that I have to do half an hour of exercise, half an hour of reading, and 15 minutes of cleaning/pick up before I can get on the computer.

I also need to do something social each week. I’m very much an introvert, and working in an elementary school all day is exhausting. By the weekend I just want to be away from people. But I need to have some social life, I’m finding, or things don’t go well. And if I want to meet someone to marry, well, I have to go meet people. I don’t really have friends in my faith, so I think doing something at my parish would be a good start.

Happy January to you!