So, Today…..

There is a cute little historical house in a nearby town that Pip would like to consider as a venue for her wedding. We’ve made two appointments (the second one during hours they are supposed to be open anyway), to look at it, and have been stood up both times. Phone calls are not returned.

This morning I wasn’t feeling very well after very little sleep from about 4 a.m. on, and I really didn’t want to go look at that place at 9:00, when we’d arranged to meet somebody there, but I sucked it up and went anyway. Nobody was there. Grimace.

Then we went to run another, much happier errand, more about that below. Then Pip left me to go run some soup and crackers over the Mop Top who is sick and had nothing to eat in the house, according to Pip. He had peanut butter and jelly, and that was good enough for him, according to him.

Then Pip and I went to visit another possible venue, a historic chapel from the mid 1800s, small, adorable, and really a neat place, but we think it won’t work because there are no sidewalks. You have to walk across a large, wooded park, which is lovely, but she wants to wed in March when it is wet, muddy, and slick outside. Mop Top has all of his grandparents still with the family, and that would be hard on them. Truth to tell, today was a muddy, mucky day and my knee was burning in pain from the short walking we did. The facility is very user friendly, too- the gal we met told us that it would be fine to drive a car across the historic park to deliver the elderly to the door, and that often this is what people do, but in March, we’d probably just get the car stuck in the mud.

Then we came home to find, I thought, my teens voluntarily and spontaneously cleaning and organizing the freezer. Well, they were, sort of. However, the ‘spontaneous’ cleaning was necessitated by their discovery that somebody left the door open long enough that about fifty pounds of meat was defrosted- all grassfed beef of various and sundry cuts: liver, hearts, tongue, round steak, ground beef, stew meat, New York Strips, and more. Seven pounds of liver had to be tossed because it stank. Bags of grain on the bottom shelf had blood drip onto the bags (brown paper), so the FYG cut them open and is removing the top layer and putting the rest in buckets. Pip is cooking- roasts, heart, and stew meat are all being turned into stew, ground beef is being browned with onions and returned to the freezer, tongue is in the crockpot. N.Y. strips will be browned for dinner. The remaining liver will probably be turned into one of two recipes, and then refrozen.

So the better errand we ran?

It’s the reason I was awake at 4. The HG had her third baby in record time, lickety split. It’s a girl. 7 lbs, 6 oz. 21 1/4 inches long. I got to hold her. Here’s our sixth grandbaby:

Both my married girls have firstborn sons and then two daughters. They have them in rapid turns, too. Our six grandbabies are 4 and under. DPG just had his 4th birthday, and Striderling will be 3 this month. Princess Peach will be 2 next month, their cousin Bumblebee will be 1 in January, and her big sister the Ladybug will be 3 in April. Yes, if you are inclined to notice those things, our grandbabies birthdays are in September, October, November, December, January, February…. and April. Shasta, I, and Granny Tea have March birthdays, so that month is full up.

Both of our married girls had such fast third labors I didn’t make it. Strider jokes that when they get pregnant they expect things to go however they went for the Equuschick before hand.

P.S. Here’s what Pip cooked today:

18 lbs stew meat
12 lbs liver
10 lbs ground beef
2 beef tongues

She also says she never heard her younger siblings complain while they cleaned out the freezer, and it was a disgusting, horrendous mess.

So blessed by my family

This entry was posted in Grandbabies, Who We Are. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Posted October 31, 2013 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Congratulations!

2. Lady M
    Posted October 31, 2013 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

Beautiful! Congratulations!

3. Posted October 31, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

bummer about the freezer… glad someone caught it in time to save the meat, even if it means cooking it all up. Better than tossing, right.

Will be praying for a good wedding venue.

Congratulations! New babies are such amazing creatures. So beautiful and a testament to God’s goodness, I think. Your daughters are so blessed, I think, with fast labors. At least my first one (and only so far) was long and drawn out, so a fast labor sounds like a good deal to me.

4. Cindee
    Posted October 31, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Wow! Congratulations all around! I guess I’d lost count because I thought, SIX grandbabies? No way!! But you are probably right! 😉

You don’t necessarily have to cook up thawed meat. It’s kind of up to you…. Read more here: http://food.unl.edu/web/safety/safe-to-refreeze

5. Posted October 31, 2013 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

How wonderful; congratulations!

6. teachergirl
    Posted October 31, 2013 at 4:11 pm | Permalink

Congratulations! She’s adorable!

7. HeatherHH
    Posted October 31, 2013 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

Congratulations!

8. Posted October 31, 2013 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

From the sublime to the ridiculous in one day. Congratulations on the new granddaughter. She looks beautiful. Grandchildren are a delight. I have five.

Been there and done that with the freezer. Ours was a horrible welcome in a Sydney summer awaiting us after two weeks away. A pipe in the freezer itself had burst. Absolutely everything had to go. Did I mention it was a chest freezer and I had to balance on the edge to reach stuff on the bottom. I had a fan blowing on me but it was a disgusting job and I could salvage nothing whatsoever.

The freezer was very old, geriatric in fact, but had done a good job till then .

Posted October 31, 2013 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Oh, dear. How awful. Ours is not a chest freezer, so we are counting that among our mercies today.

9. Lisa Beth W.
    Posted October 31, 2013 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

Congratulations! She is so chubby and beautiful! What a day!

10. 6 arrows
    Posted October 31, 2013 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Congratulations! Nice and pink!

11. Diana
    Posted November 1, 2013 at 9:28 am | Permalink

Congratulations! Beautiful!!!!

12. Fatcat
    Posted November 5, 2013 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Ooh, such cute little fat rolls! All my babies were skinny and scrawny looking at first. She’s precious!