Joyful, Joyful

squill of thanksgiving

The Mop Top’s parents stopped by on their way home from the doctor. Her PET scan is clear- no tumors. Her cancer markers are elevated from what they were two years ago, but they are still within a range that leaves her doctors quite optimistic.

She’s going to get 3 weeks of radiation treatment and be seen again in six months. Joyful feelings all around.

“I’m so relieved. I didn’t want to be sick for the Holidays,” she trilled, “and, you know, I didn’t want to be dead for a wedding.”

And we both giggled like…. well, like women who had both been feeling sick with worry over that possibility and who had been given a reprieve from that unspeakable and unspoken horror.

This entry was posted in Who We Are. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Posted September 18, 2013 at 4:11 am | Permalink

This is wonderful news to hear and I love the title “Joyful, Joyful.”

I understand some of what you are feeling. My sister is a survivor of breast cancer and its several returns, first diagnosed 17 years ago. We have just had an all clear after yet another alarm.

Others in my family have also had it.

Praise be to God.

2. Posted September 18, 2013 at 6:55 am | Permalink

When I got engaged, my mom was going through radiation for a tumor that metastasized to her lungs. At the time, her big request was to not loose her hair before the wedding. A week before our wedding (6 months later), she still had her hair but it wasn’t looking so good. God granted our request and she was at my wedding. Two weeks later, after the honeymoon was over and we were on our way home, my Dad told us to come back home for a bit. That’s when we said good-bye. Mom died two weeks after our wedding. God is so gracious though, as Mom had her full set of hair for the wedding (it started falling out the Monday after the wedding) and we were able to still get married in the church (rather than the hospital) and Mom be there.

That is so exciting to hear such news. Our God does work and does want to give us good things. Joyful, joyful is right!

3. Cindy Watson
    Posted September 18, 2013 at 7:22 am | Permalink

I agree..joy all around!!

4. Susan Humeston
    Posted September 18, 2013 at 8:23 am | Permalink

I’m so thankful – I’ve been thinking of and praying for her ever since you posted about her possible cancer return. May it totally disappear/go away/be cured!!

5. Bec from Melbourne
    Posted September 18, 2013 at 3:49 pm | Permalink

Thank you God.

6. Posted September 18, 2013 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

Thanks be to God!

7. 6 arrows
    Posted September 18, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

So thankful to hear this news!