Humble (Pizza) Pie

So, after all that boasting about my 14 y.o. son’s skills at bringing a meal to the table, starting with killing it himself, I guess it was time for a little humility.

The boy cooked supper tonight, four frozen pizzas.  For a kid who can kill, dress, and cook deer, turkey, and squirrel all by himself, it was quite amusing to learn he didn’t realize he needed to remove the cardboard from beneath the pizza before cooking it.

This entry was posted in Boy, Boys, or Blynken and Nod. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Mama Squirrel
    Posted December 17, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

I’ve done that.

Posted December 17, 2012 at 9:40 pm | Permalink

I’ve done it by accident. He did it on purpose because he thought he was supposed to leave the cardboard there.

2. Posted December 17, 2012 at 9:20 pm | Permalink

I once cooked a roast with the small absorbent pad from the packaging still there. My husband’s grandmother who scarcely knew one end of a stove from another tried to grill cheese once. Unfortunately she was using that disgusting sliced processed stuff where each slice was wrapped in plastic. She didn’t remove the plastic.

3. 6 arrows
    Posted December 17, 2012 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

My sister, I don’t remember how old she was, somewhere in her teens, I think, baked her first pizza on the wooden cutting board.

4. Posted December 17, 2012 at 10:17 pm | Permalink

Well, you don’t have to remove cardboard from a deer before you cook it. What’s the problem? :D

5. jdavidb
    Posted December 17, 2012 at 10:49 pm | Permalink

Well, one thing he has now is first hand knowledge of what happens when you cook a frozen pizza on the cardboard. I don’t have that – and now I’m genuinely curious! I wonder if the cardboard ignites, or if it comes right off of the pizza after cooking; if the pizza merges with the cardboard inextractibly, if the pizza taste is altered. So many questions, and your son’s richer experience has the answers! Since we got our oven fixed just today, maybe I should replicate your son’s experience soon so I can know, too…

Posted December 17, 2012 at 11:38 pm | Permalink

It was interesting, since it wasn’t the same for all of them. One of the pizzas was really very difficult to separate from the cardboard. The bottom of the crust wasn’t done to the proper texture on any of them, but it was still edible. Frozen pizza is frozen pizza, so I’m not sure the cardboard flavor is any worse.

6. Posted January 7, 2013 at 2:54 pm | Permalink

For what it’s worth, my husband is 42, can kill and process a deer or two dozen chickens and he managed to bake a grocery store pizza on its cardboard just a couple weeks ago while I was finishing my Christmas shopping. I’m not sure if it was on purpose or by accident, but no one was bothered. It was take-n-bake so slightly better tasting the frozen (usually) and the kids did say that it smelled a little different baking than it normally does :)