We’ve been hit by some sort of nasty virus (or succession of viruses) and the children have been sick on and off for a month. I’m getting very tired and crabby about it all; I told my husband that life feels like a never ending cycle of coughing, runny noses, laundry, and dirty dishes. And not enough sleep. And crying (we won’t say how much is the children and how much is their mother). It’s been rough, and I know you all have been there before.
These have been some of my sanity keepers, though (nb: I use sanity keeper in the loosest sense of the phrase)…
* Bengal Spice Tea ~ I don’t do well with coffee on a daily basis… it’s too much caffeine for the way my body tends to always be on overdrive. I do love something warm, strong, and slightly sweet to drink in the mornings, though, and this caffeine free herbal tea hits the spot perfectly. It’s so wonderful to sip on a gray morning, while we eat breakfast.
* Gregorian Chants ~ we use this when trying to relax for naps or bedtime. I started these for the kids, to help them calm down, but they’re helping me just as much (or more, some days).
* Streaming Classical Music ~ one of the best classical radio stations out there (I think), KCME in Colorado is something I crank up in our kitchen in the mornings. The children, even when sick, are marginally more cheerful in the mornings and so while they enjoy the music (the Striderling dances, his sister claps) I try to get the dishwasher unloaded and loaded before Total Chaos Again Ensues.
* Naps ~ Need I say more about these? Yeeaaaaah, I thought not.
* My Washer ~ when you’re being sneezed on multiple times a day, having the ability to get clean clothes quickly makes a world of difference. Yep.