News. Views.

Yay, us, we’re gonna lose at least 25 billion on the auto bailout

The GOP sues to force Obama to comply with requests for documents on Fast and Furious, which allowed guns into Mexico by the thousands and resulted in the death of Brian Terry and nobody knows how many Mexican citizens.

In a bipartisan vote in June the House held Attorney General Eric H. Holder Jr. in contempt of Congress for refusing to turn over documents the House had subpoenaed as part of its official investigation.

The administration first said it would try to work out a way to release the documents and said they didn’t show anything incriminating. But the White House later reversed course and claimed executive privilege prevented them from having to release the information.

If the WH had nothing to do with it, why do they declare executive privilege? Hmmm?

What happens when bankers own the country.

When Seconds Mean Life Or Death, Police Are Just One Hour And Two Minutes Away, which is why we have guns and know how to use them. Well, the Progeny, 14 and up do. I will rely on the kids to defend me, I guess.

July hottest ever, but U.S. tornado count – lowest since 1951: ‘poisoned weather’ meme falsified by Nature

Think this is what Woodrow Wilson and pals had in mind when they set up the League of Nations?

I am so sick of the media acting as gate-keepers. Why do Republicans agree to debates on these terms? There’s not even an attempt at balance in the mediator line-up.

More from the Good People at Gates of Vienna.

Victor David Hanson is always a good read.

Facebook, and my internet connection in general, have me snarling at my laptop and – I almost said ‘everyone else,’ isn’t that disturbing?

I’ve been trying to load a beautiful picture the FYG took for the last two hours. It keeps timing out on me. I’m trying to do other things, too, but now I am going to go cut 18 pounds of meat into tiny pieces and imagine every snip of my scissors is cutting away at Obama-Care, at overweening government regulations that interfere in the lives of private citizens, and at the propaganda that causes intelligent people to imagine they are looking at ‘both sides’ of an issue.

This entry was posted in news, news and views. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 13, 2012 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

So sorry you’re feeling down, HM.
    I have a genuine question which no-one seems to be able to answer: Does anyone know of any examples where a civilian with a gun was able to stop or even slow down a surprise attack like the recent Aurora shooting?
    I used to feel the same way you do about gun ownership. But then we moved to Africa, where there really were no “government regulations that interfere in the lives of private citizens”; and we found that having guns didn’t work as a deterrent unless people knew you had them, and if they knew you possessed guns, then that made you a target (people were quite happy to kill you to get the gun!). So we got rid of our guns and got dogs instead!

Posted August 13, 2012 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

=) Not feeling down, just grouchy. For me, the two are different.

I personally know two people whose lives were saved because they owned a gun- one was a woman home alone who heard a noise at her window- she went and checked, and a man was breaking in. She showed him her gun, and he stopped- but a few minutes later he started again. She held him at gunpoint for the fifteen minutes it took the police to arrive. He had a history that indicated things just just wouldn’t have turned out well for her.

One was a man, the father of a classmate, who was stuffed in his trunk by three armed hoodlums. He had a gun in the trunk. They drove out to the desert and opened the trunk and he started shooting. They had weapons and tools that indicated a thrill killing was the plan of the day.
      I don’t live in Africa. Get dogs here, and they are likely to be poisoned by people who plan on hurting you. I live in a country where the law protects my right to gun ownership. I think if I thought about it more than a few seconds, I would come up with other examples.

Everywhere that concealed carry has been permitted, crime rates go down, not up.

I am not opposed to laws. I cherish the Constitution and all it stands for, and I believe that the purpose of government is protect people from harming one another and to enforce agreements. I am opposed to being babysat by my government and having its nose in all my business.

2. BethanyB
    Posted August 14, 2012 at 1:08 am | Permalink

Do you have any advice on how a mother can keep track of her reading and the spaghetti of ideas that come from it? I end up with pages, notes and scattered thoughts that I’d really like to organize for myself or maybe the kids one day if they get bored enough to read through some of mom’s scribblings.

Thanks.

Posted August 14, 2012 at 1:24 am | Permalink

Oh, Bethany.
      You have just described my ‘method.’

3. Frances
    Posted August 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

“the propaganda that causes intelligent people to imagine they are looking at ‘both sides’ of an issue.”

LOL – I think we all feel that way when people we respect seem blind to what to us is glaringly obvious!

4. Posted August 14, 2012 at 1:37 pm | Permalink

Hello again!
    Thanks for that. What I really meant was the sort of mass killings like in Aurora recently. Or in the Sikh temple. The only example that everyone seems to know about is United Airlines Flight 93, where the passengers fought back. But they were unarmed.
    After every mass killing there are always a spate of articles which state that if everyone was carrying a weapon this event wouldn’t of happened. I’m genuinely interested to find out if this has ever happened. I don’t have a stance one way or the other. I mentioned my experience only to explain that my views have had to change with our experience.

Posted August 14, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

But your change in views is specific to the country where you live, not this one, where I live.

I suspect more mass killings are deterred than stopped in process by concealed carry laws. I think most gunmen choose places where they know people don’t have guns to go on killing sprees.

The passengers on flight 93 were unarmed because that was the law. Had they been armed, they might have stopped the attack AND still be alive.

Posted August 15, 2012 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

“From the Washington Post, it looks like the security guard and several civilians worked together to subdue the shooter, thank God. The guard reportedly was shot in the arm, and is in stable condition.”

5. Frances
    Posted August 14, 2012 at 7:44 pm | Permalink

Hmm – but then the hijackers would have been armed with more than box-cutters under the same rules and would probably have been ready to shoot first.

Those gallant passengers still bring a lump to my throat!

Posted August 14, 2012 at 11:24 pm | Permalink

Or they would have not been hijacking a plane to begin with. One of the reasons they succeeded as well as they did is because they knew that for decades, American policy has been *not* to fight hijackers, but to passively sit back and let the professionals do the negotiating. And the reason they haven’t been successful again at the same sort of attack is because nobody is ever going to do that again.

6. Frances
    Posted August 15, 2012 at 12:40 am | Permalink

And of course now they lock the door to the cockpit.

Posted August 15, 2012 at 8:41 am | Permalink

A locked door isn’t a significant barrier to a determined terrorist, if he can count on the passivity of the other passengers.

7. Frances
    Posted August 15, 2012 at 11:34 am | Permalink

But didn’t you say the passengers wouldn’t be passive again?

Posted August 15, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

Yes, which is why I also said that the locked door works now, but is not alone what prevents a repeat performance.

Posted August 15, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Speaking of gunmen and attacks- seems to have been a possibly politically motivated shooting at the Family Research Council, foiled by a guard: http://ace.mu.nu/archives/331947.php

8. Frances
    Posted August 15, 2012 at 1:46 pm | Permalink

Glad the guard is ok!

9. Posted August 16, 2012 at 4:38 am | Permalink

Thanks, again! (And to Frances!)
    If I read the article correctly, it seemed that the guard disarmed the gunman. But, it didn’t state that the guard shot back. More that he and his colleagues wrestled the gunman to the floor and disarmed him.
    Thanks for the keepandbeararms link. Very helpful. But it does seem like I’m still on my search to find a mass killing that has been thwarted by civilians carrying their own weapons.
    Yes, I take your point that many of these massacres are at schools, theaters, etc. where people would not be armed. The Norwegian killings took place in a teenagers holiday camp being run on a small island. I doubt you feel that they should have been armed. But maybe your experiences of teenagers are different to mine! :-)
    Again, I take your point that you are discussing your experiences and the law in your country; but the original reference in your post was to the Norwegian killings, followed by you explaining why you had guns. So, I felt that it was appropriate to share my experience even though I was talking about different experiences in a different continent.
    My experience of the Scandinavian countries is that everyone there carrying a gun for protection would be on a par with everyone in the US carrying their own defibrillator!
    Again, very impressed with the guard’s bravery, and glad he’s okay.