Growing Pains

The Growing Pains Are In My Pocketbook

Tomorrow we’re off to the thrift shop to buy my lanky lad jeans. I will also scoop up any man’s shoes size THIRTEEN (!) or larger, because he is currently in a size 13 and yet, he is STILL not DONE growing!

We just spent 35 dollars for a single pair of dress shoes for him because I draw the line at flip flops with a suit (he inherited the suit from a brother-in-law) and his only other shoes that fit are knee high waders for the creek and some old combat boots. Oh, and that 35 dollars was with a 20% off coupon for the shoes.

Earlier this week his 21 year old sister was mortified when she took him shopping with her, and somebody thought her 13 year old baby brother was her boyfriend. He, of course, thinks that’s pretty funny- not being mistaken for her boyfriend, but mortifying her. That part is funny.

boy roasting rabbit over campfire

This was actually a pretty large rabbit

The limbs, the appendages, the legs, the arms, the feet, they just growing, and growing, and growing….

P.S. I’ma try and ‘member to take the camera to our thrift shop tomorrow. I think it’s kind of a unique place.  It’s three buildings large, and one of the buildings, I kid you not, is called ‘The Man Building.’ Isn’t that cool?

This entry was posted in Boy, Boys, or Blynken and Nod. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Jen
    Posted June 26, 2012 at 1:09 am | Permalink

You know the saying, “Act your age, not your shoe size?” Well, for one of my brothers, his age was his shoe size for several years. His feet finally stopped growing when he hit seventeen (both age and shoe size). My parents would ask after his size at any shoe store they happened to pass on the off chance they would have something that would fit him. Good luck with that!

Oh, and other kids at our high school – not anyone we really knew, but people we hung out with before and between classes – thought he and I were an “item.” Apparently it was against the rules for siblings to actually like each other. . . . It was weird, but we set them straight.

2. GrannyTea
    Posted June 26, 2012 at 7:12 am | Permalink

Growin’ like Topsy.

3. Stephanie in AR
    Posted June 26, 2012 at 8:53 am | Permalink

Oh how I feel your pain! My own 13 yo went from a size 10/12s to a 28″ in about 4 months. If they made them he’d be an 18s but that size only seems to exist in husky & short. When my adult son wore that size we bought his jeans at Penny’s (on sale) or at Goody’s. Penny’s calls that size “student” and seems to be more available at back to school time. Goody’s is a store that closed most of it’s branches but if you can find one they have sales quite often and deep discounts on their clearance rack. It’s odd that for being a trendy store they had a wide selection of styles for boys/men.

I shake my head at how this worked out – the previous summer there was a church wide rummage sale at the local very large Catholic church. On dollar a bag day one table was heaped taller than I am with 28-30″ men’s jean and pants in the styles across history way of yard sales. At that time ds was only a 10/12 so we looked, commented and walked past. Today I am hoping the church has another big yard sale planned in the near future. Adult ds lets the USAF take care of most of his trousers need and for the rest he uses e-bay.

Posted June 26, 2012 at 10:00 am | Permalink

Have you looked at Lands End? I think they have 18s sometimes. My son isn’t wearing 18s, but he cannot wear huskies. We bought several 18 regulars from Lands End on sale several months ago.
      I have never heard of a Goody’s. I don’t know what we’ll do if he gets longer without getting any thicker.

4. Posted June 26, 2012 at 9:25 am | Permalink

My youngest just turned 14 and is 5 feet 2 inches. He is anxiously awaiting a growth spurt! He wants to be taller than his sister who is 5’5″.

Posted June 26, 2012 at 9:57 am | Permalink

I have a nephew who is going to be 15 this summer. He is 6’2″, and unlike my son, he fills out his frame a bit (not heavy, he’s just not a walking stick figure like my boy). He is in the Civil Air Patrol and a while ago I saw a picture of him with the other boys in his squad- they are all barely five feet tall, none of them shave (my son and nephew have both been shaving about a year), none of them have hairy legs yet- and he towers over them and looks like he’s a college freshman hanging out with sixth graders. But he is the youngest one there. The other boys are one and two years older than he is.

The range of ‘normal’ for boy development is just incredibly wide.

5. Andrea
    Posted June 26, 2012 at 10:23 am | Permalink

We are forever finding those larger shoe sizes at our thrift stores. Oh, how I wish I knew your style and price range. My guys seemed to have stopped at 10-11 eventhough they are 6′. We find 12-16s quite often and stop to marvel at them!