We don’t really have an ‘advent’ calendar as such, since for us Christmas isn’t a religious holiday.
We do have a countdown to Christmas, and we use the same idea to count down the days towards other special events (the wedding, Thanksgiving, when an absent sister is coming home, days until a business trip is over).
We just make a paper chain, one link for each day and staple it up to the wall and every evening the youngest two children take turns taking down a link.
To make it more fun for Christmas, we sometimes write things to do down on the links. Here are a few ideas:
1. Choose a Christmas CD for the family to dance to.
2. Play Christmas bingo.
4. Bake cookies and fix a couple baskets to give to our adopted college students.
5. Bake quick breads to take to our elderly friends.
6. Make a Christmas ornament.
7. Set out some of the Christmas village.
8. Decorate a window or door for Christmas.
9. Go caroling..
10. Make a popcorn chain for the tree.
11. Make paper lanterns.
12. Memorize a Christmas poem.
13. Make a pinecone bird feeder and hang it outside for the birds.
14. Play a Christmas bingo game.
15. Help wrap presents.
16. Make Christmas candy.
17. Pick a present to give to somebody from the Angel Tree in town.
18. Make a card and put together a gift basket for our single mom friend and her two boys,
19. Make Christmas tree bread.
20. Read the Gift of the Magi aloud.
21. Watch Scrooge, the Musical version.
22. Decorate the stairs.
23. Help The Cherub make a Christmas ornament.
24. Cut up the bread for fondue.