Boiling Beef

What is “boiling beef”?

What would you do with five pounds of it?

1. lj_cox
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

A little searching turns up references to beef that sounds a lot like our pot roast or chuck. One reference mentions bone-in and another suggests that it’s good for making stock. I’d say stew meat would be the analogous term, possibly with the bone.

A neat page referencing boiling beef and pot-au-feu is here: http://www.soupsong.com/zaug05.html

2. Anonymous
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Boiled beef is a cheaper beef cut such as brisket or flank steak. For example corned beef is a type of boiled beef.

3. Dee
    Posted June 30, 2008 at 1:29 pm | Permalink

I found much the same thing.

G’ma use to boil huge hunks with the bone in and made this soft chewable food that she used with veggies, potatoes and such and as a beef sandwich spread. My father, the grillmaster, from the city thought she was crazy.

In Texas, Brisket is bbq’ed and flank is cooked soft (not fried or grilled) for TexMex.

In New England we had the “boiled dinner” with corned beef or plain brisket. Didn’t live there long enough to get the recipes. (Or care much for the taste.)

Good luck.

4. Ca Terp
    Posted January 15, 2017 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

i just bought a half a cow and got “boiling beef” as one of the cuts. From what i’ve found online it is the part of the cow where shortribs come from but without the bone. It is very fatty and not a roast at all. I found some recipes from scotland that say it is great for making broth, just boil it with your other flavoring ingredients until it’s cook through. Cool it and skim off the prodigious amounts of fat and you have a lovely broth/soup. I also found paleo recipes for rendering beef fat ( processing it to put it in a jar in the fridge so i can use it in place of oil for browning things or to make roux for soups) In that recipe you cut any meat out of the fat, cut the fat into 1-2 in cubes, boil it until it’s shriveled looking, drain the liquid into a bowl, throw away the solid fat, cool the liquid so the melted fat solidifies and then put the solid processed fat into a jar in the refrigerator and use as mentioned above. I hope this helps.

5. Ritchie
    Posted October 26, 2017 at 4:22 pm | Permalink

I grew up on a beef farm and we put a cow in the freezer every year when I was growing up. I had never had boiling beef then and had never heard of it prior to purchasing a 1/4 cow from a beef raising neighbor. I agreed to the butcher/meat processor’s suggestion about boiling beef looking to try it out. I just thawed out a package and found that it was literally 70% bone and fat. There was very little beef. This is not just a cheep cut of beef, it is a garbage cut that literally cannot be used for much and you are paying for fat and bone. In the cut there was two bones and the whole cut is about as big around as a football so I’m guessing that it comes from the fore or bag leg of the cow. I will never get boiling beef ever again. Unless I am going into the suet feeder business.

• Headmistress
      Posted October 26, 2017 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Thank-you! That is very helpful information.