Ten Things to Do With Leftover Roast Beef

My husband served 20 years in the Air Force as an enlisted man, I was a stay at home mom to our seven Progeny. We know how to make those pennies squeak and how to make the most of leftovers because we had to. Here are some of the ways I’ve used up the last bits of leftover roast beef- all the links are to my family’s recipes. Links for other leftovers are at the bottom of the post. Enjoy!

1. Cut it up and add it to homemade stew or soup.  For instance:
    1. Try leftover roast beef instead of ground beef in this beef and turnip stew (substitute carrots for turnips if you are not a fan).
    2. Use it in this Italian beef stew (which also freezes very well).
    3. It’s really good and easy to use in this skillet meal called beef paisano-
    4. This lentil-barley stew, and all the above dishes can serve a family of five for under 5.00)
  2. Shred the leftover roast beef, mix with bar-b-que sauce and have it over buns (this home-made bar-b-que sauce uses a can of tomato soup for the base. Or, for an Asian flavor, simmer 4 cups leftover roast beef gently in:
    1/4 cup soy sauce
    2 tablespoons honey
    2 tablespoons sugar
    2 tablespoons dry sherry
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice
    1/2 Tablespoon ginger

3. Shred the meat with a fork and knife, mix with cream cheese for sandwich filling, a cracker spread, or to have with celery for a low-carb snack.
  4. Cut up small and put it in gravy for biscuits with gravy (make your own biscuit mix; use this yummy white sauce for gravy)
  5. Cut up small and mix with gravy (see above) and have it over baked potatoes;
  6. Have it in quesedillas (spread grated cheese over half of a tortilla, top with small amount of shredded roast beef, onions if you like, herbs, etc- or not- fold tortilla in half, fry in skillet until tortilla is golden brown, flip, fry til golden- put on a plate and eat- have sour cream or salsa if desired);
  7. Add it to chili (substitute pinto or kidney beans for the white beans, and leftover beef for the chicken in this recipe, add a can of tomatoes))
  8. Cut up small and mix it with refried beans for burrito filling- there’s a recipe here, just substitute the leftover cooked roast beef for the ground beef.
  9. Add it to pot pie- turn this very easy, inexpensive and delicious savory vegetable pie into a carnivore’s dish with just one half to one cup of diced roast beef!
  10. Make it part of an omelet filling

If the amount you have seems too small for some of these, think of the roast beef as seasoning, flavoring rather than the main ingredient.

You can also use these ideas for other leftover meats as well, chicken, turkey, pork, lamb- and you can click through for more of our family’s recipes and other ideas for stretching the grocery budget.
Here’s a recipe for make ahead meatballs that you can use several different budget-stretching ways.

If you think these ideas are helpful, you should see my other post with even more delicious ideas for leftover roast beef! Stretch the meat, save on your grocery bill, cut back on spending and trips to the grocery store, reduce your waste, and still eat well.

Leftover poultry (chicken or turkey)

Leftover BBQ Chicken (you can also use these recipes with BBQ pork or beef)

Leftover ham

Leftover Rice

Leftover Corned Beef

Leftovers from Thanksgiving Dinner

Not leftovers, but here’s how to massage your budget so you can stock your pantry.

Delicious ways to use stale bread

Other ways to stretch grocery dollars

What’s your favorite way to use up leftovers?  Share in the comments.

If you found this useful, would you consider signing up for swagbucks with our referral link? As of Feb. 2012, we’ve joined the ranks of the unemployed.

This entry was posted in cookery, cooking for a crowd, frugalities. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Mama Squirrel
    Posted August 10, 2006 at 4:35 pm | Permalink

I have my own recipe for leftover roast beef–kind of a Hungarian-inspired casserole. I’ll post the recipe.

2. Krakovianka
    Posted August 10, 2006 at 5:38 pm | Permalink

You have leftover roast beef?

3. Young Christian Woman
    Posted August 12, 2006 at 12:37 pm | Permalink

Leftover pizza. Or, if you prefer, leftover casserole. Or leftover calzones.

4. Anonymous
    Posted November 27, 2007 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Oh my God…I made the enchallada recipe in the skillet and it’s awesome. I’m going to post it on my blog http://www.arsimpulsum.blogspot.com

5. James
    Posted July 13, 2009 at 12:38 am | Permalink

How do you grind up your roast?

6. Bitterroot Mama
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

Great ideas! My roast beef is so yummy we don't normally have leftovers, but if we do, we usually go the beef taco route. Thanks for sharing!

7. Headmistress, zookeeper
    Posted September 15, 2010 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

When I make roast beef, I plan on leftovers because I like them. I make extra, and I hold some back from the table in advance so that there will be leftovers.=)

8. Anonymous
    Posted May 2, 2011 at 1:40 am | Permalink

I am going to turn the leftovers into chicken fried steak

9. Anonymous
    Posted October 4, 2011 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

When we were growing up my Dad was in the Navy. My mother used to chop leftover roast and put it in a frezer bag. When the bag was full she would make veggie soup. Chop cheap seasonal veggies, a can of whole tomatoes, dump in roast, salt and pepper and italian seasoning about 1 T. That was it. Crackers or french bread.

10. Infoseeker
    Posted March 21, 2012 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

I use leftovers of most anything and put on canned biscuits to make different types of 'mini pizza's' and kids love it as well as adults.

11. Infoseeker
    Posted March 21, 2012 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

I use various leftovers and put on canned biscuits and make 'mini pizza'..the kids, as well as adults, love it. I just clean out the fridge and get creative.

12. No(dot dot)el
    Posted April 28, 2012 at 8:35 pm | Permalink

Thanks for this. We had a huge Roast given to us and I am trying to figure out what to do with it all.

13. Posted August 18, 2012 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Thanks for getting me thinking on this. I’m making a roast tomorrow and I know there will be leftovers since there are only 2 eaters in the house (and a 4-month old baby!) and 2.5 pounds of meat…I don’t think roast beef should be on the menu every night this week!

One Trackback