I posted the first half of my great, great grandfather’s exam for getting his teaching license here.
Posted below is the second half- why don’t y’all take a stab at answering them in the comments section?
1. Translate into English:
Reinhardt hatte seit seinem Besuch in der Heimat nicht an Elisabeth geschrieben und von ihr keinen Brief mehr erhalten. Auch dieser war nicht von irh; es war die Handschrift seiner Mutter. Reinhardt offnete ibn und las, und bald las en folgendes: “In deinem Alter, mein liebes Kind, hat noch fast jedes Jahr sein eigenes Gesicht; denn die Jugend lasst sich nicht armer machen. Hier ist auch manches anders geworden.” (DHM’s note: this is a transcription and consequently probably rife with my own errors. It seems to be from Immensee, which I know was used in schools at about this time because I own a couple family copies of schoolbooks which include Immensee)
2. Give the principal parts of “hatte geschrieben,” “erhalten,” “war,” “offnete,” “las,” “lasat,” “machen,” “geworden.”
3. Translate by the proper cases of the personal pronouns without prepositions: me, of me, to me, to her, of him, of her, she, to them, they, of them, to you, him.
4. Decline in singular and plural: “Sein eigenes Gesicht,” “mein lileber Reinhardt.”
5. Which prepositions govern the dative?
6. How are the ordinal numbers derived from the cardinals?
7. How are adjectives declined when used as nouns?
8. What is the German equivalent of
You have made
I have written
we read (pres).
we read (pret)
he has opened
they have become
thou hast received
1. Give three characteristics of xerophytes.
2. What is a mould? Explain its presence in preserves
3. Why are annual plants devoid of scale leaves?
4. Give the structure of endogenous stems.
5. Describe the root-cap. What is its function?
6. When do the secondary changes take place in a root?
7. What are the three principal tissue systems?
8. What are the medullary rays? How are they formed?
9. Give the principal classes of plants in the subkingdom Bryophyta?
10. Of what use is diastase to germinating seeds?
General History and Civics
1. Write in ten lines some facts in relation to the life of Charlemagne.
2. Who were the Capetian kings?
3. Give some of the causes of the Hundred Years War.
4. Give some of the provisions of the English Reform Bill of 1832.
5. Discuss briefly the Edict of Nantes.
6. How did Germany come into the possession of Silesia?
7. What was the Long Parliament?
8. How are the presidents of France elected?
9. What powers are denied the States by the U.S. Constitution?
10. Write a few lines showing the influence of the Speaker of the House, of the U.S. Congress, upon legislation.
There’s no way I wanted to transcribe all this, so… See the picture. If you click on the link it should enlarge the image, and I hope you can read that. For those who can’t, the tasks included Defining basic terms (exponent, similar terms, product, postive and negative…), factoring, extracting a square root, solving equations, completing a series including both fractions and whole numbers, simplifying, etc. Plus a word problem about eggs. My favorite is the word problem but then, I always did favor word problems.
(any eight, not omitting the 9th and 10th)
1. Discuss the movements of the earth and give results of each movement.
2. Give the causes of earthquakes. What is the nature of the motion caused by the earthquakes?
3. Describe the Japan Stream, and give its effect upon the climate of the western coast of North America.
4. Discuss the distribution of rainfall in the United States.
5. What are diurnal winds? What conditions give rise to them?
6. What are the characteristics of continental islands?
7. Discuss the drainage of North America.
8. What are the effects of altitude and of elevated land masses upon the distribution of plants and animals?
9. What is the relation of physical geography to mathematical and political geography?
10. How would you present the causes of winds?
1. Describe and account for the results obtained by blowing the breath through a tube into a vessel of lime water.
2. What results when sodic stearate is added to lime water?
3. Write the reaction which takes place between copper and nitric acid.
4. Describe the preparation of charcoal.
5. What is the chemical relation of glycerine to alcohol? What to iron rust?
6. What are the special properties of gold that make it useful in the arts? Of zinc? Of tin?
7. Write the reaction which occurs when magnesium ribbon burns.
8. What is the quantitative composition of nitric acid? Of hydro-chloric acid? Of marsh gas?
9. What is the law of definite proportions? Illustrate.
10. For what is carbonate of lead used? What is gravimetric analysis?